This timeline can play out in less than 180 days! Don't Wait… Act Immediately… Contact Your Lender !
- First 30-90 Days
- Owner is behind in mortgage payments.
- 30 Days Later
- Legal proceedings begin when mortgage company files complaint.
- 28 Days
- Owner has 28 days from receipt of complaint to respond or file an answer.
- Within 5-30 Days
- Mortgage company attorney files motion for default judgment if no answer is made.
- Court can render default judgment decision.
- Attorney files motion for judgment decree in foreclosure.
- Court can render judgment decree in foreclosure decision.
- Attorney files a legal form known as a praecipe with the clerk of courts ordering the sale of the property.
- Within 3 Days
- Within 3 days Clerk delivers praecipe to sheriff.
- During the Next 3 Months
- An appraisal is ordered and completed.
- The sale date is set.
- Sale is advertised in the Daily Reporter for 5 weeks.
- Day of Sale
- Sheriff will auction property to highest bidder.
- Within 30 to 60 Days of Sale
- Confirmation of Sale (orders sheriff's deed and gives new owner right to file for writ of possession)
- 14 days after confirmation of sale the Sheriff's deed is issued.
- New owner files for writ of possession.
- Sheriff will give you 10 - 14 days to move out of your home - this may be extended up to 30 days for hardship).
for Civil Real Estate Sales information
to keep track of your foreclosure status
*This should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact an attorney if you require such advice.