Skip to main content

Search for Over payments

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the procedure for applying for a refund? 
    First verify that there is a surplus on the parcel. You may do this via the on-line search or by calling 614-525-3438. If it is determined that a refund might be available, print out a copy of the application form, complete it, and return to us with a copy of the front and back of your canceled check, money order, cashier's check or paid stamped receipt. Include any other evidence to support your claim such as a closing statement, escrow statement, etc. The application should be mailed to, Franklin County Treasurer's Office, ATTN: Refunds, 373 South High Street, 17th Floor, Columbus, OH 43215.

  • How long does it take to receive a refund? 
    In general, the refund process can take up to 6- 8 weeks to complete depending on the time of year the refund is requested. 

  • Am I entitled to a refund if I refinanced? 
    If you refinanced during the first-half and a duplicate payment was received, the answer is no. Your full taxes will be credited as paid and your mortgage company will not receive a bill for second-half. However, you may have an overage in your escrow account in May and should contact your mortgage company for an adjustment. If you refinanced during the second half and the full year tax is already paid, the answer is yes, please submit a completed application along with supporting documentation including your escrow statements and/or settlement closing documents.

  • What if I paid taxes on a parcel by mistake? 
    The entity or individual who paid the taxes must submit a refund application form along with payment verification.  The process for refunding an overpayment may take longer if the funds have been distributed to the taxing districts.  Taxpayers may be asked to complete a written statement explaining the error and their request for correction along with the refund over payment form.

  • Can I have my surplus applied to next year's taxes? 
    Yes. Please indicate that on the application when you submit it with your proof of payment.

  • How soon should I apply for a refund? 
    You should apply in writing as soon as you receive your canceled check, money order or cashier's check. If you paid with cash and have a paid receipt, you may apply as soon as possible. Please Note: Refunds cannot be made until the checks involved in the overpayment have cleared the payer's account. This can be verified by presenting a bank statement.

  • Who should request the refund? 
    A refund should only be requested by the person or entity who is entitled to the refund.


Please format as shown below:

  • Search by Parcel: 
    Example: 010-047262 
    010 = tax district; 047262 = parcel number
  • Search by Property Address: 
    Examples: 1001 East Brown Street = 1001 E Brown St 
    1407 N. 4th St = 1407 N Fourth St 
    Use the street number and the street name with street direction (N,S,E,W) or suffix (St, Dr, Ave, etc.) and spell out numeric street names (th)

Real Estate Tax Over payments

If you think that you have overpaid your Real Estate tax bill, you can enter your district parcel number or tax bill property address to see if you are entitled to a refund. To obtain your Real Estate Overpayment, complete the following steps:

  1. Search the overpayment database to see if your parcel number or property address appears.
  2. Record the amount of overpayment due to you.
  3. Open the Tax Refund Form, you may fill it out online, but then you must print the completed form.
  4. Sign the form in the presence of a Notary Public.
  5. Mail notarized form and supporting documentation (including closing statements, canceled checks, release from other interested parties, etc.) to:

    Franklin County Treasurer's Office
    ATTN: Refunds
    373 South High Street, 17th Floor
    Columbus, OH 43215